Monday 17 September 2012

Stuffed Butternut Squash

I always seem to make butternut squash into a soup with ginger and coconut or I roast it and mix it into a risotto, I never stuff it. I realised I had accidentally bought another pack of Feta cheese by mistake whilst already having a pack in the fridge and so thought a stuffed butternut squash with feta was in order.

One butternut squash
Large Red Chili
Garlic
Pack of Feta cubed
One courgette
Field Mushroom
Yellow or Red Pepper
Onion
Thick bacon (optional)
Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
Salad to Serve

















I started by slicing my butternut in half, chopping a chill and crushing some garlic which I spread on top and then drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled some salt.
















I also chopped my veg and tossed in some olive oil and let that gently roast in the oven on a lower shelf and around 10mins  before it was due to come out I added my chopped field mushroom.















Near the end of the cooking time, I grilled my bacon and added that to the veg. I scooped out the flesh from the butternut squashes and mixed everything together including the feta and then put them back in the oven for around 15mins.

In an ideal world I would have sprinkled the top with Parmesan and breadcrumbs but I had neither so had to do without.














I ate it with salad and it was very filling, a great mid-week yummy dinner.

3 comments:

  1. Phwoar! Looks delicious.

    Our homegrown squash are almost ready! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not quite squash time for us here in Washington, DC. But in a few weeks the coolness will cry out for stuffed squash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butternut Squash is one of my favourite foods - so tasty and satisfying. I've only ever stuffed one with Quorn mince, but veggies and (Quorn) bacon would be good!

    ReplyDelete