Sunday 14 October 2012

Chilli Jam





I know it's only October but I have started to think about Christmas already and how I can be a bit more frugal this year with the whole present buying thing. I always tend to go over board and so have decided to make every ones presents in the form of little food hampers.This is a really easy recipe for chili jam that I got from Nigella Lawson and this the first addition to food hampers!

  • 150 grams long red chilli pepper
  • 150 grams Red peppers
  • 1 kilograms Jam sugar
  • 600 ml cider vinegar

 First thing you need to Sterilise your jars and leave to cool, I did this by washing them in boiling hot water and washing up liquid and then put them in the oven for around 10mins on a low temperature.
To make the chilli jam first cut-up the chillies and put into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Next add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again.
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a pan over a low heat without stirring and although it is tempting to stir you must make sure you don't!
Next you need to add the chilli-pepper mixture into the pan and bring to the boil, then leave it boiling for ten minutes and after that take the pan off the heat and allow it cool-
After about 40 minutes or when you can see the jam is beginning to settle ladle into your jars and seal tightly.
It's a really easy recipe and looks gorgeous, when it's closer to the time I will cover with fabric, tie a ribbon around them and attach a tag with the date I made the chilli jam.


10 comments:

  1. wowzers!... like jewels in a jar!... great recipe, love it... will start my jamming soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit sweet for my palate, though the colour looks wonderful and I bet they'll be appreciated.

    Why must you not stir the sugar and vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can put different amounts of sugar in James Martin recipe was 125 grames of soft brown sugar.

      Delete
  3. This does look lovely. Chilli jam is so useful for so many things - whenever I make it I might intend to give some away but I usually end up keeping it all myself. Oh and I'm definitely not thinking about Christmas at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's early to be thinking of Christmas but I needed to make the jam in advance!
    And San I know this is awful but I am not actually sure why you are not ment to stir but in every jam recipe I have looked at they all the same thing, don't stir! I tried to find out why but couldn't find anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What thickens it into a jam? I want to make jalapeno jam. I'll only see a reply if you can write to scrout1944@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use jam sugar which has pectin in it and thats what sets it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look beautiful - I would be so chuffed to get one of these at Christmas. Homemade things are so lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look lovely and what a brilliant idea for a present. Clever girl.

    ReplyDelete